February 1, 2014

dining room tour

before-

my gripes: out dated chandelier; and cream & beige walls



the potential: bay window; hardwood floors; large size; chair rail; and right off of the kitchen

after-


I was inspired this picture of a navy dining room on Pinterest.  It had a vintage feel that I wanted to recreate. The challenge was to how to pick the right navy for the walls?


I choose #4. Glidden Rich Navy


The first thing that you notice when you come into the dining room is the table.  My Nana gave me her table which is probable 75 years old.  It is a mahogany veneer table that was sun damaged.  Instead of replacing it, I refinished it. See how I did it here.


I bought a new brass chandelier to replace the out dated chandelier.  I love the large size and the architectural details of the chandelier.


These vases were bought at Marshals.  The Gold, Navy, Green, Grey colors are carried through out the house.


The buffet was also part of my Nana's dining set.  I gave it a new life by painting the piece with Benjamin Moore Advance  'Country Grey' paint.  


I distressed the edges to show off the details of the woodwork. I kept the same pulls to give it a vintage look.


I reupholstered the seat and gave old hand me down chairs a fresh coat of paint.  The soft velvet drapes add texture to the room and soften the window.  The navy walls, are anchored with a bright white chair rail. 


I choose a remnant area rug the color of sand with a subtle design to contrast the wood floor and the dark wood table.





No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top