February 3, 2014

tips on how to paint furniture

I have refinished a lot of pieces which consisted of real wood, veneer, and laminate. When painting furniture it is important to use the right tools and paint. I've learned a lot over the years and now I am here to share my tips.







tips:
  • buy the right paint for your project. I found that Benjamin Moore Advance Waterborne Alkyd Paint has been the best on furniture. Why?  It's durable as an oil, it goes on like an oil paint, but finishes like an enamel paint.  It has a low odor and it easily cleans up with water and soap.
  • always lightly sand the piece first with fine grit sand paper.  It's ok to use an electric sander on the big areas. 
  • wipe off all the dust
  • prime with a Benjamin Moore Primer, it fills any small imperfections
  • sand again to remove any brush strokes or bumps
  • use the right brushes.  I always edge first before I roll my pieces. Use a cabinet foam roller to avoid brush strokes
  • Use an oil rub on poly, if you are not using a white paint (it will yellow over time).  It goes on smoothly with no bubbles! You can use multiple coats on the top of a piece that gets a lot of use


No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top